Thursday, August 28, 2014

a slew of book reviews.

Bear with me while I review umpteen books which have been piling up on my nightstand. I've been distracted by these sweet guys lately... ;)


 oh, and this sweet guy.... :)



I LOVE being a part of Bethany House's Blogger Review program. These were all sent to me, free of charge, to read and review. If you're interested in the program, check it out here.

The Jesus Story by Dr. William H Marty

I cannot say ENOUGH about this book. I was raised in church, so the Jesus stories could sometimes seem mundane. Is that awful to say?? I had heard them so many times, that I wasn't really HEARING them. This book breathed new life into Jesus' story. I found myself learning new things in every chapter.
This is a retelling of the New Testament, "in plain English" (Marty, 2013). I highly recommend it to anyone - Christian or not. It can bring new life to Jesus' life for you, and will do an amazing job of introducing anyone to Jesus for the first time.

50 Things You Need to Know About Heaven by Dr. John Hart

Excellent book. I chose this book to review in light of a loss in my life. Even though I knew some of the 50 things, it was SO encouraging to "learn" them again. There are SO many facts about Heaven that I just did not know, or did not think about before. Dr. John Hart answers most any question one can have about Heaven, using sound doctrine and the Word of God. 
This is an easy-to-read, easy-to-understand book.
I recommend this book to anyone, but especially those who have experienced loss. It proved to be a great enouragement to me.

Tide and Temptest by Elizabeth Ludwig

I must admit, when I chose this book, I couldn't wait to receive it. I really enjoyed Ludwig's second book of this series, but this third book lost me. I could not get into it. I pushed myself to read more, but I felt lost in the story. I had a difficult time connecting with the characters. I thought the storyline took too long to become interesting. The first part of the book is shrouded in mystery, but it was too myseterious for me - I couldn't figure out who was who or what anyone was talking about! Perhaps I need to reread the second book? I'm not certain, but I cannot recommend this except for a reader wanting to continue/finish this series by Ludwig.

Minding Molly by Leslie Gould

I made myself finish this book. I wasn't enthralled with it. I was bored by the predictable story line. I also had trouble placing this story in any particular time in history. At first I thought it was in the past, but the characters had cell phones, so I assumed it was modern day. I know it is an Amish story, but it seemed out of place and unattached to any specific time period.
It was an entertaining read, but it was predictable. I couldn't connecct with Molly, I really didn't like her character. I did, however, find myself more interested in the less developed characters of the story. 
I can only recommend it as an easy read. It's not a book I would read again.

Miracle in a Dry Season by Sarah Loudin Thomas

As a WV girl, I highly recommend this book. Partly because it's set in WV (I mean, how often does that happen?!) But, this is such a sweet love story. I couldn't put it down. The characters are easy to love and are perfectly developed. I felt I knew what I wanted about the characters and didn't find myself wanting more information - I felt I knew them. I was sad when the book ended, because I enjoyed getting to know them through this book. The plot was not predictable and there was no mention of a dramatic fire or near-death experience from which the woman needed to be rescued, only to finally fall in love with her rescuer. I really enjoyed it.
The first novella by this author was wonderful, too! I received it free and was on edge waiting for this sequel!
I highly recommend this story to anyone. It was so entertaining and interesting.

Appalachian Serenade by Sarah Loudin Thomas


The novella and prequel to Miracle in a Dry Season. Absolutely adorable! It's been awhile since I've read Christian fiction and been so drawn in by the characters. Thomas writes this story so beautifully that you cannot help but be caught up in their love story. Set in WV, this is a story of two unlikely people finding love in a small, small town. There are no dramatics or unbelievable circumstances that bring them together, just two normal people living normal life.
I highly recommend this book.

(all photos of books were found on Amazon.com...my favorite site to shop! Visit the site by clicking here)

No comments:

Post a Comment