Sunday, May 4, 2014

Cultivating a Toddler's Heart for Christ....Don't Give Up!

I'm writing this post at the end of one of THOSE days. One of those days when a super strong-willed toddler has made a scene in a restaurant, made a scene during maternity pictures, and cried for jellybeans during the entire 30 minute car ride home. It's one of THOSE days when bath and bedtime routines began at 6pm (would you judge me if I told you I actually fed him dinner while he was bathing?? ;) ).

...a strong will against pictures ;) ....and my 33 week bump...

But at the end of this day, while my husband and I sat with our sweet/funny/strong willed toddler, Samuel, in his room, a shining moment happened. Samuel picked up his prayer book and began reading to us. He turned to the correct page and "read" his verse: "The Lord's plans will stand forever". He turned a few more pages and said things like, "worship the Lord," and "God has a purpose for you."

we use and LOVE this devotional - Samuel calls it "Dear God" - you can find it here

I beamed. My husband frantically tried to secretly record this sweet moment. ;) We were both refreshed. Because, no matter the nights that Samuel will fight prayers or devotions, no matter the nights when he sings "Twinkle Twinkle" during our prayers, this shining moment was proof that SOMETHING is getting through to Him.

So mommas (and daddies), don't give up on devotions, prayer, Bible stories, etc. Even if our toddlers are flipping circles in their beds or singing the ABCs while you're reading devotions to them, SOMETHING will get through - God promised that His Word would never return void - it will always accomplish what He plans for it (Is 55:11) - like His plans for us to train up our children in the His ways (Prov 22:6). His Word won't return void...even when spoken to 2-year old ears. :) (and while I'm not to that point yet, I'm placing my bet that the same holds true for teenagers, as well!)


"And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up." (Gal 6:9)

No comments:

Post a Comment