Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Creamy Tomato Tortellini Skillet

I cannot take credit for this recipe. I wish I could. But, I can't.
I can take credit for pinning it on my ever-growing Pinterest "DinnerTime" board. (that counts toward culinary genius, right??)

We have a family of 3.5 (the half is fiercely kicking his way out through my belly button as I'm typing this...). We ate this for two meals - my husband ate it cold...(blah) - I did not - I warm my food, like a normal human being ;)

I must say that this recipe exceeded my usual budget for a meal, but it was so good and easy that I may keep it on my menu rotation. I'm cheap when it comes to food. I love to cook, but I try to keep my meals to only a few dollars per person. (this is probably why I rarely bake - it becomes too expensive). I hate to spend too much money on food just like I hate spending money on toilet paper and paper towels - these things don't last long. ;) I will add that I do calculate the price of organic produce into the price per serving since I like knowing that I'm not feeding pesticides to my family with every bite of food. ;)

Anyway - here's the delightful recipe that scored rave reviews with my hubs and my 2 year old. I hope you like it just as much as we do!

Creamy Tomato Tortellini Skillet (found: here @ Mostly Homemade Mom)

16oz package frozen/refrig cheese tortellini
15oz can Italian diced tomatoes
2 cups fresh spinach, chopped (I didn't chop mine - just threw it in)
1/2 t salt
1/2 t ground pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced (I used 1.5)
3/4 c milk
3/4 c heavy cream (I used half and half - for price and for calories!)
2 T all-purpose flour
1/4 c grated Parm cheese

Prepare tortellini as directed on package.
Meanwhile, combine tomatoes (undrained), garlic, spinach, salt, and pepper in a large skillet over med-high heat. Stir occasionally until the mixture begins to boil.
In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, cream, and flour. Pour into skillet, along with parm cheese.
Cook until bubbling again, then reduce heat and simmer about 3 minutes until thick.
Add cooked tortellini and stir to fully coat with sauce.
Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes to further thicken the sauce.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you blogged this!! It looked amazing!
    www.allkindsofthingsblog.com

    ReplyDelete